Thursday 23 February 2017

Interview with author R.L Jackson

Hello world. It’s time for another treat. I’d like to introduce you to the second indie author I have had the privilege to interview recently. So I’m calling a coffee break because it’s been five minutes since I had one. Everyone sit down, stop that, yes you, thank you, pay attention you might learn something, will you just...oh never mind.

Welcome to the multi-talented R.L Jackson.



1. Tell us a bit about yourself, who you are, where you’re from, what do you write? (Inside leg measurement, arm length, shoe size-kidding!)

Lol, I'm R.L Jackson and I hail from the very steamy state of Florida and I try to write equally steamy romance novels.


2. When did you start writing?

My writing bug bit me in middle school and honestly, I haven't stopped writing since. I read everything I could get my hands on too, so that helped to stoke the passion for creating.


3. What do you love the most from planning to publication?

I think the creating side of it actually because you can do anything you want. The flip side of formatting, book design, feedback, editing etc, you have rules to follow and you have to be precise so that was tough for me especially doing it alone like I did. So patience is a virtue.

4. What about things you wish you didn't have to do-are there any of those?

Marketing and advertising, lol. I wish there were some sort of fairy dust I could sprinkle on the keyboards that did all the banners, tweets, facebook posts, website etc. It's A LOT of work.


5. It is a huge amount of work and by no means my favourite task either. OK, so where do you write. Do you have a dedicated space or do you write anywhere?

A desk in my living room is where I create nowadays. It’s not the most ideal space because of traffic, but when everyone crashes for the night, that usually when I brew a pot of coffee and have at it til 4 am.

6. 4am?? I would be utterly useless the next day if I tried to pull that off. How do you start writing? Do you have a process?

I do. I write at least five or six different outlines for a book from start to finish (Same topic, just different ways to explore the journey). Very roughly though so a page per book idea. When I can’t think of anything else I arrange them all in a line and look at what the first premise is in each and pick the best and I do that for every line or plot point of each, mash  them up etc until I have two good plots ideas and usually I combine that for my final outline. Then I do a scene breakdown based on chapter goals, then chapter breakdowns, then the overall flow etc. Sometimes I do this and it never gets used because one scene will spark a whole chapter and I'm left with a paper trail that I can reference to if need to.

7. Name a place fictional or real that you’d like to visit. 

Hawaii. Just want to fall asleep on the sand and do nothing for a week.


8. I’ll just install myself in your suitcase…Right final question, if you weren’t an author and you could choose to do anything else with your life what would you do?

Nurse Practioner.

That is a very honourable answer. RL Jackson thank you so much for your time, it’s been a pleasure.



Click all of these links simultaneously to find out more about RL Jackson. Go on, test your connectivity:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Almost Halloween

Today is one of the highlights of my year. I love Halloween. I don't particularly enjoy the incessant opening of the front door and hand...